Source: Zillier, Carl, b. 1838, Editor- History of Sheboygan County, Wisconsin, Past and Present- Vol. I- Chicago, Illinois: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co, 1912
ST. PAUL'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
In 1845 the white man took up his abode on the shores of the Mullet, amid the grand old forest trees, at a spot which has since become the city of Plymouth. But as this sketch has to do with the life of the church in this section, we have to pass on to 1847, when M. M. Flint came here with his family.
Silence again covers the records until January 31,1851, when Bishop Kemper, accompanied by the Rev. L. Davis, of Sheboygan, held a cottage service, administering the sacrament of baptism to a daughter of Mr. Flint. After this the Rev. Davis officiated monthly for some time. In 1855 the Rev. Henry Safford held services for a few Sundays. In September, 1856, Rev. J. B. Pradt, of Sheboygan, began regular visits, and on October 28, 1857, a parish organization was effected, with arrangements for semi-monthly services to be held in the schoolhouse. The- following year the parish was admitted into union with the diocese.
This was a memorable year for Plymouth church people, for again Bishop Kemper visited these parts, bringing with him the Revs. J. B. Pradt and George S. Hepburn, and on the 17th of April they laid the cornerstone of the present church. Mrs.Enos Eastman, Sr., still a communicant, was present at this service. On the morrow three persons were confirmed. In those early days people indeed did things, for we find that necessary funds were raised with such dispatch that Bishop Kemper was here again, December 4, 1858, and assisted by the Revs. Pradt and Eastman, consecrated the completed house of prayer.
The following May Rev. Pradt resigned and Rev. J. W. Cowe had charge until October 1, 1859. He was succeeded in January, 1860, by Rev. A. B. Peabody, who left September, 1861. 'The succeeding rectors have been: M. Morris, April, 1863-September, 1868; S. H. Woodford, January, 1869-April, 1870; J. Hochuly, November, 1870-March,1872; George Gibson, March, 1872-July, 1874; E. H. Rudd, August, 1874-January, 1875; James A. Upjohn, June,1876-May,1880; William Gardam, September, 1880-November, 1882; J. Moran, Jr., September, 1883- July, 1886; W. R. Gardner, June, 1887-August, 1890; A. W. Griffin, February, 1891-May, 1893;J. M. Raker, June, 1893-December, 1894; F. S. Ward,January,1896-January, 1897; D. C. Hinton, February, 1897-October,1900; J. A. Baynton, December, 1900-October, 1906; Doane Up-john, March,1907 to the present.
The history of the parish has been one of progress. It shows a long list of outside friends, and many deeds of Christian sacrifice on the part of its clergy and laity. From among the gifts that we find scattered over a period covering more than fifty years, we select a few as being of general interest. Friends in the east interested in the bUilding of the church, contributed $577, while donors from home gave from $7.50 to $200 apiece, making a local sub¬scription of $1,207.50. About this time W. W. Chandler, of Cleveland, gave a bell, which still calls the people of St. Paul's to-worship. The first rectory seems to have been built very shortly after the church. Under the rectorship of Rev. M. Morris, the wings were added to the church edifice. At an early day the Sunday school gave the font, which is still in use, and a communion set was given by Mary Chase. The-bishop's chair was presented by P. H. Smith.
During the rectorship of Rev. J. A. Up-john, a beautiful stained glass window of the Good Shepherd was erected as a memorial to three of the children of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Smith. While Rev. William Gardam was in charge, Mr. and Mrs. Zerler gave a brass missal stand as a thank offering. During the rectorship of J. Moran, Jr., the brass altar cross was given by the Sunday school; the brass lectern as a memorial to P. H. Smith; and during Dr. Gardner's incumbency, a pair of brass altar vases, to the memory of Alice Lucy Santee, a pair of brass Eucharistic candlesticks to the memory of Anna Ingraham O'Brien, and a silver communion set to the memory of Horatio Nelson Smith. While Rev. Griffin was in charge, a pair of seven branch candlesticks were given to the memory of Mr. and Mrs. Zerler, as a thanks offering; a brass alms basin was given to the memory of Harry Albert Dow. A rood screen was placed in the church and the Guild Hall built. Father Griffin introduced the use of colored vestments.
Rev. Raker was instrumental in having oak stalls placed in the choir. Under Rev. Hinton's influence, a hard-wood floor was laid in the church and the present handsome pews installed; also a vestment case secured for the vestry room.
A very much needed improvement was made during the tenure of Rev. Baynyon in the erection of a large and con-venient rectory. During Rev. Up-john's time, the guilds and members of the congregation have been working earnestly and giving liberally. The rectory has received many needed repairs and the church has been entirely rebuilt, outside and in. A new carpet in the chancel, with rug for the sanctuary, a handsome credence and litany desk, bought with birthday offerings, a large seven branch candlestick to the memory of Katharine E. Huson, and a beautiful set of Eucha-ristic vestments, for the greater festivals of the church, embroidered by Mrs. P. H. Smith, add much to the beauty of the church and dignity of the services.
A handsome oak altar was given by the parish as a jubilee offering at the time of the fiftieth anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone, and a reredos placed in the church, at the same time is made up of memorial panels to Henry Frank Conover, Enos Eastman, Sr., W. W. and Rarnee Huson, J. W. Dow, Rev. James A. Up-john and Maria Louise Up-john, and a figure of St. Paul to the memory of Dr. Gardner. The guild hall has been rebuilt and much enlarged, making it very attractive and convenient.